Sunday, April 1, 2012

3/20-3/24 Farmington, New Mexico

     We drove about four hours from Albuquerque to Farmington , NM where we played at the Top Deck, a club in the area. We arrived at the club and waited around for a few hours until somebody showed up (the owner answered our first call, said he would call us back, then wouldn't answer again). We played catch with a football in the parking lot, searched for lost jewelry and money, and checked out some local drunks before the paramedics hauled them off.



Our drive from Albuquerque to Farmington

How they cure a hangover in Farmington...kidding they were still drunk



   The first couple nights were kinda slow at the club there in Farmington but it picked up later in the week towards the weekend which is pretty normal. I had a really great time hanging out with my dad and his new wife Najayyah. We had so much fun driving around, showing me the town, learning more about my dads side of the family, and cooking. We went and checked out a tack shop there in Bloomfield called Quien Sabe and they had a bunch of the things I'm into from the Buckaroo style riding and cowboys of the Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, and California regions so we picked up a couple documentaries and looked around.

My dads donkey "Gypsy"


Lunch with dad in Durango, CO

 
   Top Deck


Top Deck

      Durango, Colorado is only forty-five minutes from Farmington so on one of my days off, my dad drove me up there so I could finally get to see the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad which I've wanted to see since I was a kid. It was so great to be around steam locomotives again, it's been a few years since I ran live steam down in southern california. When I used to drive the stagecoach at Knott's Berry Farm, we had one of the sister engines there to two of the engines still used on the D&SNG so getting to see engines 41 and 42 was really cool. We checked out the museum, talked with a few train crew members (this is not a volunteer railroad, it's privately owned fully operational railroad with paid employees), climbed aboard a few of the engines and old cars many of them over one hundred years old.






1 comment:

  1. This is so cool Tyson. Can't believe Gypsy made it into the blog. You should see her now, with her coat all nicely groomed. Now, she is ready to entertain guests. Was a blast having you here. It just wasn't log enough.

    ReplyDelete